Azul Systems Profile
- Azul Systems, the industry’s only company exclusively focused on Java and the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), builds fully supported, certified standards-compliant Java runtime solutions that bring the power of Java to the enterprise, cloud, and embedded/IoT.
- Zing is a JVM designed for a wide variety of enterprise Java applications and workloads that may require any combination of low latency, high transaction rates, large working memory, improved query performance and/or consistent response times.
- Zulu is Azul’s family of certified, freely available open source builds of OpenJDK with a variety of flexible commercial support options, available in configurations for ISVs, enterprises, and on-premise or Cloud deployments, as well as custom and embedded/IoT devices.
- Azul Systems was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA.
Vitruvian Partners Profile
- Vitruvian Partners is an international growth equity firm headquartered in London with offices in London, Stockholm, Munich, Luxembourg, San Francisco and Shanghai.
- The firm focuses on dynamic situations characterized by rapid growth and change across asset-light industries.
- Vitruvian has roughly $6 billion in assets under management and has backed a number of global technology leaders including: Just Eat, Farfetch, Skyscanner, TransferWise, Darktrace, CRF Health, WalkMe, Snow Software and Bitdefender.
Lead Edge Capital Profile
- Lead Edge Capital is a growth stage investment firm with $2 billion of capital raised since inception with portfolio companies across the internet, software and consumer spaces – including Alibaba Group, Asana, Bazaarvoice, Duo Security, Spotify, Toast, TransferWise and Uber.
- The firm offers its entrepreneurs flexible capital and extensive domain expertise via its robust Limited Partner Network, a global advisory group of leading executives, entrepreneurs and dealmakers who have built and run some of the most successful companies.
- Additionally, they leverage their LPs to connect companies with the customers, partners, talent and advisors needed to accelerate success.
- Lead Edge was founded in 2009 and has offices in New York City and Southern California.
- Lead Edge Capital
- Vitruvian Partners
- DevOps and Software Development Tools
“Since inception, Azul has remained exclusively focused on building the world’s best products to serve the Java community. “We’re extremely proud of the company we’ve built and the culture of excellence we’ve created. This partnership with Vitruvian will help fuel our growth initiatives and enable us to catapult Azul to a new level of presence in the community and the market overall.”
Scott Sellers CEO & Co-Founder, Azul Systems
“Azul has enjoyed rapid growth and established itself as a clear market leader in Java. Azul has an exceptionally high caliber global team, and we believe this growth investment will allow Azul to continue to scale the team, develop innovative products, make strategic acquisitions and ultimately serve a rapidly increasing number of customers worldwide. With revenue growth consistently above 50% per annum, strong cash generation, an asset-light business model benefiting from industry tailwinds and an ambitious leadership team, Azul is exactly the type of company we have a successful track record of supporting.”
Sophie Bower-Straziota Partner, Vitruvian Partners
- Vitruvian’s investment in Azul Systems was announced on March 4, 2020; proceeds to shareholders are expected to be approximately $340 million.
- Shea & Company served as financial advisor to Vitruvian Partners.